Wash Day Dairy : August 19th 2014 : Clarify with Bentonite Clay

Bentonite Clay on Natural Hair
Love how Bentonite clay makes my curls and coils POP!
This week, I went longer on my wash days. I have been doing 5-7 days intervals, but this time, I went nearly 2 weeks. Whew!! At the end of that, my hair looked like this:

Banding Natural Hair
Results of banding my hair

My hair actually did not feel too bad, but since I have been putting products on top of products, it did not have its normal shine and bounce.

The night before my wash, I detangled my hair with just Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and covered it with a plastic cap and my bonnet as a pre-poo treatment. The next morning, my hair was SUPER SOFT and shiny. I was almost tempted not to wash it. LOL!
Pre poo with Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

Using my Bentonite Clay Mask, I applied the clay to my hair, covered my hair with a plastic cap for 1 hour. It should have been for 45 mins, but I forgot to make my Tea Rinse.
Bentonite Clay Hair Mask
Bentonite Clay on Natural Hair

For 2 months now, I have been doing Black Tea Rinses every wash day, I have noticed differences in my shedding. However, I found this picture on Pinterest, and decided to try Green Tea Rinses.
Tea Rinses for Natural Hair Shedding

The ingredient in teas that helps with shedding is caffeine. I am thinking Black Tea will win over Green Tea because it has more caffeine per 8 oz cup than its counterpart.
BeverageCaffeine Per 8 oz Cup
White Tea30-55 mg
Green Tea35-70 mg
Oolong Tea     50-75 mg
Black Tea60-90 mg
Coffee150-200 mg

The other thing is that you do not want to have too much caffeine because you could get the reverse situation and even experience more shedding. I have tested this fact and found it to be true when I did the tea rinses twice a week, my shedding seem to increase, then I reduced it to once a week and that seemed better.

Therefore, today, I brewed 2 bags of green tea (equivalent to 70-140mg of caffeine) in a 8oz cup. I will be testing this for the next month to see if it does better than the black tea. The Black Tea worked ok, but when I did not use it (while testing SheaMoisture products), my shedding seem to increase even much more.

After rinsing off the clay, I spritz my hair with the Green Tea rinse, applied SheaMoisture Super Complex Hair Masque on top of it, covered with a plastic cap and my bonnet and went for an hour bike ride. When done, rinsed the deep conditioner off.

Product Build Up on Natural Hair
THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DO NOT SECTION OFF YOUR HAIR TO PROPERLY CLEANSE IT.

I had some residue on my scalp left over. #VeryAnnoying . I decided to section my hair, and wash my scalp with Eden Bodyworks Cleansing Cowash.
Cowash with Eden Bodyworks Cleansing Cowash
Here is proof that cleansing Cowashes truly cleanses your hair.

Here is my hair afterwards, full of shine, elasticity, and sheen!
Type 3C 4A Natural Hair

Natural Hair

Post Wash:
**Testing taking Pictures in "Tv 1/125" mode on Canon T3i EOS


Comments

  1. Caffeine?! Is that the only big thing about using tea rinses in your hair? If that's the case, then that's why on days the weeks that I have coffee 3-4 times a week versus having one cup or none at all, I get less postpartum shedding! O_O Super weird. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Caffeine is the main thing. I guess it's working for you.

      Delete
  2. Maybe I will try bentonite one of these days, to see how it works for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

3 SheaMoisture HACKS that will Save your Natural Hair

DiscoveringNatural Hair Coaching

Does relaxing hair help get rid of lice?