To Comb or Not To Comb?

Now that is the question....

Another question is, what type of comb or brush should I be using for the task at hand? 



These were the questions going through my mind as I untangled yet another knot I found after my first co-wash this past weekend.  As you know, I just started experimenting with co-washing my 4 months transitioning hair.  My hair does feel moisturized... Goal achieved... however, the tangles and knots are getting on my last nerve!?!.  So, I decided to go against my no-comb routine and comb my tangle tresses. 

Because of this decison, I knew I had to use the right tool for the job, so, I started to research combs and brushes.  Wow! I got so overwhelmed with all the information, but the bottom line is that each comb and brush should be used for the specified usage, unless, you can cause a lot of damage and breakage to your hair.

Here are the combs and brushes I have and their purposes:

Detangling Combs


I use these wide tooth combs to detangle my hair when wet (when I don't finger-detangle).  You can get these combs even wider. I believe I do have to get a much wider one in the future. This is the number one "must have" combs for everyone.

When using this comb, you should always gently comb your hair in sections.











Styling Combs


There are two rat-tail combs that I have.  One has a plastic tail, while the other has a metal tail.  I like using the metal tail when I do cornrows or twists that require neat lines. For images of how my hair looks like when I use each of the combs, click here.

I avoid using the teeth section of this comb on my new growth.  I find that it breaks my hair if I do that.











Pick Comb


The pick comb can be used when picking your 'fro.  Since I am still transitioning, I use this comb to lift my hair at the base when I want to get a fuller look.  If you don't want to use this comb, another option is to use your fingers.  That works well.














Edge-smoothen brush

This soft boar bristle brush is only used to smoothen and brush edges for a neater look.  I love the softness of it and that it does not break my edges.  The brush works really well when used on damp hair.

Most of the time, I usually just mist my edges with water, and occasionally apply some gel, tie down with a scarf, and my edges look all neat.


Paddle brush

 This is the one brush that I have not used since I started transitioning.  When I was relaxed, this was a great brush that I used.  Now, that I am transitioning, I found out that there is a brush that I can get that would replace this one.  That is the Denman brush



When I buy the Denman brush, there are a couple of things to take note of...
  • If you want better grip, get a brush with more rows of bristles. The D4 has 9 rows, which most people like using. It is ideal for thicker and longer hair.
  • Not all brushes are created the same. Visit the Denman website to get all the information on the different types of brushes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can Split Ends be Genetic?

How to Start Caring For Your Natural Hair

DiscoveringNatural Hair Coaching