Read the ingredients


Aqua, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PPG-5-Ceteth-10 Phosphate, Disodium Cocoamphodipropionate, PEG-30 Glyceryl Cocoate, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Hydrolyzed Silk Serica......blah....blah......blah..

What are these ingredients?... and even I guess the question we all should be asking ourselves is what are these ingredients doing to and for our hair.  And why should we care? 

Well, if you care about the health of your hair, then you should care. I believe that the health of your hair is equally as important as the health to your body. Some of us, me included, read nutritional facts on foods that we buy. We stay away from high calories food and sugar overloaded drinks.  Why not pay the same attention to ingredients that is in our hair products?

About.com: Nutrition
I have never read the ingredient panel on the bottles and jars of hair products I buy.... that is to say... not until recently.  When I was researching the process of going natural, I learnt that some shampoos actually hurts the hair more than they help it. I learnt that shampoos containing sodium lauryl sulfate can cause the hair to become dry and should be avoided.  Personally, I use shampoos that do not contain lauryl sulfate, however, once a month, I do clarify my hair to remove product build up. For my clarification, I do use a shampoo that contains lauryl sulfate.I used Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Fortifying Shampoo which contains a lot of moisturizing ingredients such as Coco Betaine also known as Cocamidopropyl betaine. Coconut oil is one of the make-up of this ingredient, which is a moisturizing agent.
Also, don't forget to look at the ingredients panel of your conditioners.
TightlyCurly.com has a list of ingredients that have been marked with labels Good, Okay, Caution, Avoid.

Do you read hair product ingredients?  What products do you try to avoid?

Comments

  1. I have started to read product ingredients too. I stay clear of anything with Sulfate in.

    Last year i read that shampoo are really bad for our hair and we dont need to use it weekly. I tried the no poo / co wash method and i like it.

    I actually like the feel of my hair after co washing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tried the co-wash method before. I will give it a try next wash and let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Can Split Ends be Genetic?

How to Start Caring For Your Natural Hair

DiscoveringNatural Hair Coaching